Tuesday, 2 September 2008

More Private-sector run schools?

One of the things that takes the joy out of teaching is the ridiculously huge class sizes that a teacher is forced to deal with. The largest class I had last year was 33. Among other things large classes don't really allow for that all important individual attention and of course behavioural or special needs compound the problem. Is opening a few more thousand schools across the country too much to ask? The answer is YES largely because....(and I speak from my huge bank of political ignorance) most schools are government funded. If I was Ed Balls (Education Minister) for a day I would call upon enterprising companies...businessmen...millionaries...(the private sector) to open schools and then I would government-fund the opening of a few more hundred schools myself! The private sector may well be better at running schools anyway. The question of fee's arises but I'd have to analyse the financial ins and outs in another blog.

Are more private-sector run schools the answer?

No comments: